PES Manifesto Consultation
During winter/sprint 2007/2008 the PES consulted widely with Labour, its other member parties, trade unions, progressive civil society organisations and individuals across all EU-member states. The aim was to define a joint grassroots-influenced manifesto for the 2009 European elections.
In support of this process LME-LSE organised four public panel discussions in March 2008 in London to cover the themes of the consultation process.
We fed back results and audience comments to the PES, and thank everyone who participated. The events saw some lively discussion, and a diversity of opinion from the panel speakers who joined us to contribute to the debate.
Some of the key issues discussed at these events will be central to our work in the next few years, so do check out some of the archive videos below.
The most lively event in the series was the panel discussion about a ‘new social Europe’ of which you can find some clips on youtube. Just click on the headings below to be taken there.
- New Social Europe Debate – Henning Meyer (on the theory of a European social model and why it is needed)
- New Social Europe Deate – Deborah Littman (on the changing nature of work and workers’ representation in a globalised economy)
- New Social Europe Debate – Ben Richards (on what has Europe really done for us)
- Panel Debate on the European Social Model Part 1
- Panel Debate on the European Social Model Part 2